It’s not always easy to get your kids excited about spending quality time with the ‘rents. Here are some great options for when you are looking to do something different with your progeny.
1. You can make your own bespoke tees at Darien Sport Shop’s third floor outpost of Cheryl Fudge when your young designer needs to refuel, walk across the street to Chunky Pams where anyone can find something to satisfy their sweet tooth.
2. Inquire about the family climbing opportunities at Sono Field House to see when you can belay the night away.
3. Robeks is a popular spot with the pre-teen group, why not get a healthy snack before going to the latest movie at the Darien Playhouse. Afterwards, you can check out what’s “in” in tween fashion at Wishlist.
4. Beadz Boutique is a great spot to spend an afternoon while also learning something new. Design and create a necklace and/or bracelet while bonding with your
5. Channel your inner anglers with fishing at Tilley Pond, since the pond is catch and release (and you’re likely to catch mostly catfish) you can continue the theme with sushi at Tengda. If you go for lunch you can help yourself to their take-out lunch box or two-sushi roll special.
6. Rowayton Market has plenty of options for dining in or taking out. Grab some sandwiches and rent a kayak at Downunder and paddle down Five Mile River for a picnic at the Fish Islands. This is also a fun way to gain a new perspective on Darien and Rowayton.
7. Chelsea Piers batting cages are open in the late afternoon/evening for some serious fun ($2.00 for 12 pitches) , continue on to dinner at Brasitas just down the street for delicious food and a fun atmosphere.
8. The New Canaan Nature Center is hosting three fun family nights this summer, including a night hike on Saturday, August 23 from 7:30-9 pm.
9. The concert series at Waveny is underway. Grab your kids and set up your blankets and chairs on the lawn to enjoy a picnic dinner before the 7:30 concert. Wednesday nights throughout the summer, raindates Thursday, check the schedule to find out what band is playing.
10. Swirl offers frozen yogurt and tons of toppings on New Canaan’s main drag. Fix yourself a snack and saunter down Elm Street for some serious window shopping.