Craving a burger lately? You’re in luck. Just head over to Cherry Street East in New Canaan, The Best of New Canaan/Darien winner for Hamburgers, where you can choose from a menu of over 14 different types of burgers with to-die-for toppings, or design your own. “We have a varied menu, but the fact that you can customize your own burger sets us apart from other places,” says John Bergin, owner of Cherry Street East. Their Vermonster is the most popular choice: a burger on an English muffin topped with bacon and Vermont sharp cheddar cheese. Bergin explains, “We challenge people to “create their own monster” if they’re up for it!” Another plus: For any burger you can choose between turkey, beef or veggie.
Let these distinctive burger combos inspire you to make your own creation, or stop by Cherry Street East for a fix.
1) O’Burger: Covered with crisp shoestring-thin onion rings. Add mushrooms and cheese—a real crowd pleaser.
2) The Stanley: Mushrooms, bacon, cheddar cheese, Cherry Street’s famous chili, lettuce and tomato. This is the “Full Monty” of burgers.
3) New Orleans Burger: Rolled in Cajun spices. Top with blue cheese for a sublime, flavorful experience.
4) The Brit: House-made horseradish sauce and Swiss cheese make this a house favorite.
5) South of the Border: Jalapenos, Jack cheese and house-made salsa. Ay caramba!
5) Veggie Rhapsody: Veggie burger, smoked mozzarella, tomato, lettuce, mushrooms and shredded carrots in a tomato tortilla. The lighter side of burger heaven.
6) The Australian: A burger topped with a fried egg. Not on the menu, but ask for it by name, and they’ll know what you mean.
Cherry Street East
45 East Ave, New Canaan; 203-594-1515